So it’s the time of year again… Sephora + Pantone Universe revealed the Color of the Year for 2015 which is “Marsala”. Marsala is beautiful nude, rich wine colour, which to me, a kind of neutral pomegranate shade. There has been a lot of hype surrounding the collection particularly the Eyeshadow palette, and the Lipstick.. Yeah, I know it’s late but it is still up for grabs from few locations. Its true that the product looks very appealing but does it really live up to its reputation? Let’s find out!
Facets of Marsala Multi-Finish Eye Palette($39 US/$49 CAD) – Facets of Marsala Multi-Finish Eye Palette is a limited edition palette which consists 24 eyeshadows in matte, glitter, pearl, and shimmer finishes. The packaging of this palette is really amazing , It is very slim ,sleek and well designed.It Designed to evoke the sleek, modern lines of the iconic Pantone Chip, and newly imagined with a captivating Marsala ombre color variation, 2015’s Color of the Year Collection makes a stunning presentation. Each product features Sephora Collection’s high performance formulas for rich color payoff and luxurious feel during wear. Refined finishes like matte, cream, metallic, and lacquer allow for a fuller expression of this bold nude shade, from sheer luminosity to wildly rich pigments.
My Thoughts : To be very honest, these are my first eyeshadows from Sephora , I have never used eye product from Sephora, and I even did not check the previous color of the year palettes, I knew that, it launched but was not so interested to buy it , My husband surprised me with this palette . It was one of my new year gifts from him, and when I saw it ,I literally screamed because it has all the shades which I need for my desi brides.Thanks to amazing husband. Most of the shades are predominately warm toned except that blue and silver. I love warm eyeshadows mostly , so I got really excited and happy to see all the warm shadows. The formula of these shadows are quite unique to me, I felt them creamy and very buttery , most of the shades are very richly pigmented but there are also few shades which are not very good and they are chalky , powdery . The mattes are not rich and this really made me shocked. They are not bad but not as good as other formulas. I am not able to compare them with other sephora shadows because I dont have any except these. But I love this palette, I also love the packaging, The palette itself is a beautiful rose gold, it’s so beautiful and so sleek, I dont have last year’s palette but I saw that and this year’s palette is much smaller and compact, which is more travel friendly,this palette comes with a nice big mirror which is a plus point, all you need some brushes to create amazing looks with this palette.Here are the swatches. I swatched them by row and no primer was used for any of these swatches. The picture was taken under daylight and studio lights.
- Autumn Blonde : Autumn Blonde is a pale matte colored base with silver glitters, this one was a little powdery . Anastasia Beverly Hills Legend is more yellow. Vanilla is cream white.
- Toasted Nut : Toasted Nut is a shimmering pumpkin color, The texture is smooth and creamy, it has a medium-to-high frost with a smooth texture. Anastasia Beverly Hills Caramel looks similar but on the skin that is more brown.
- Marsala Matte :Marsala Matte is a pigmented matte red wine color. Inglot 614 DS in more pink and has tiny bit of glitters.
- Marsala Satin : Marsala Satin is a pigmented semi-matte red wine color.
- Shifting Sand : Shifting Sand is a champagne color with a high sheen, the texture is creamy and it blends nicely on skin. MAC Shroom is more pale and MAC Nylon is more cool and pale, MAC Ricepaper is more peachy.
- Cocoa Brown: Cocoa Brown is a satiny cool brown with a slight sheen.
- Burro :Burro is a neutral cool satiny matte color, which is so unique to me, it has a slight sheen , but it looks matte on the skin.
- Deep Taupe : Deep Taupe is a cool-toned bark brown that looks more blue/purple on my skin. It is also an uncommon shade.
- Marsala Metallic : Marsala Metallic is a shimmering red wine, it has a smooth texture, I found it easy to blend on the skin. MAC Coppering looks very similar but it is not, coppering is more orange. MAC Canberry is more pinky and Inglot 449 Pearl more pink and darker with matte satin finish.
- Marsala Glitter : Marsala Glitter is a red wine with red and silver tiny glitters . MAC Coppering looks very similar but it is not, coppering is more orange. MAC Canberry is more pinky and Inglot 449 Pearl more pink and darker with matte satin finish.
- Kelp : Kelp is a warm light olive gold with metallic finish, it has finely milled shimmer. MAC Sumptuous Olive is little dark and khaki shade.
- Dusty Olive : Dusty Olive is a darker metallic olive, it also has good pigment and finely milled shimmer. MAC Humid is more dark and has frost finish. Anastasia Beverly Hills Emarald gives more shine.
- Desert Mist : Desert Mist is a highly frosted light gold, MAC Gorgeous Gold is close but a little more muted yellow and pearly finish. MAC Goldmine is more yellow intense gold and more frosty,
- Butterum : Butterum is a medium golden copper metallic shadow, MAC Amber Lights is more peachy and more frosty , Urban Decay Half baked is more bronzy.
- Macaroon : Macaroon is a satin tan with a hint of pink. MAC Tan pigment is very close but little more visible on the skin.
- Chutney : Chutney is a muted reddish matte red,, MAC Brown Script is more intense and red, MAC Red Brick is more red with orange undertone. Anastasia Beverly hills Sienna is more warm and orange. Anastasia Beverly Hills Morocco is red and not muted but same tone.
- Nimbus Cloud : Nimbus Cloud is a cool-toned silvery white sparkle, MAC Platinum pigment is very close with high shine.
- Moonlight Blue : Moonlight Blue is a glittering blue, you can get more pigment if you layer it with a damp brush. MAC Contrast is little more purple.
- Carob Brown : Carob Brown is a satiny medium-warm brown, it’s primarily a matte but has a slightly reflective property . MAC Brun is more blackish muted brown. Anastasia Beverly Hills Truffle looks similar but truffle has little shimmer in it.
- Bracken : Bracken is a cool tone dark chocolate brown base with gold shimmer loaded into it. MAC Patina is more taupe . MAC woodwinked is more bronzy. Urban decay Dark horse is dark bronzy,
- Russet : Russet is a warm muted matte brown, Urban decay Buck is more warm, MAc soft brown is more warm but light.
- Hot Chocolate : Hot Chocolate is a warm reddish brown matte, MAC Embark is more red brown .
- Castor Grey : Castor Grey is a duo-chrome metallic similar in concept to MAC Club Eyeshadow, I dont have club but as far as I know club is more blue . MAC blue brown pigment is more blue , Inglot 84 pigment is more green.
- Red Mahogany : Red Mahogany is a matte plum red brown , it has tiny shimmer in it. Bobbi Brown Black Plum is close but little more blackish. Inglot 392 is little more pinky plum.
- So many possible looks you can achieve with it.
- Most of the shadow are richly pigmented and smooth texture.
- Very Very nice palette for creating dramatic south asian looks.
Cons of this palette :
- Some shadows are powdery.
- Price can be a con to some people.
My Rating: 4/5
As you can see they are mostly pigmented and there are few too many similar looking shades. I would have preferred if there was a nice shade for the brow bone or a rich black for making my eyemakeup a little more dramatic for the night party.. Other than that I am honestly in love with this palette. I think they did an awesome job this year! Thanks to dear husband once again for this amazing palette. I wish I also had the lipstick and blush palette 🙁 😉 .
Thank you so much for reading my post.Let me know your thoughts beauties. And make sure to follow my blog if you want to get notification for my next post.